Justin's Cookies

Okay, so obviously this post is not about a cake. I've been thinking for awhile that I wanted to start blogging about other things that I make; but have been reluctant to do so for a few reasons. Mainly because I read A LOT of food blogs and feel intimidated by all of the amazing ones out there with incredible photos and witty writing. Then I thought: who actually looks at my blog anyway? Maybe Lacy and Rachel and occasionally my mom. I thought this would be a fun way to share recipes with Lacy and Rachel and maybe get some grammar tips from my mom. For myself, I would like to use this as a way to keep track of some of the things I make as I often lose track of recipes.

I also have been feeling a bit nostalgic and emotional lately about Mabry growing up. This has been brought on by the reality of her starting school in less than a year and my regret about the end of my uninterrupted days with her. I really want to catalogue some of my tried and true recipes for her. I was thinking how neat it would be to have a recipe blog of things my mom or grandmother made. I realize I could just keep a recipe file; but I want to do something more personal. When I look through someones cookbooks, I love to read notes that they make in the margin. That is what I hope to accomplish. Recipes, especially the ones I consider my tried and true favorites, with my notes from the margin. Of course, I'll continue to post cake pics.

With that said, this first recipe for Justin's Cookies is close to my heart. Justin isn't a big sweets person; but he does make a few exceptions...namely cream cheese pound cake (I'll post this soon) and until recently, chocolate chip cookies. I think he still likes chocolate chip cookies; but since I discovered this recipe about a year ago, it is the only cookie he requests.

I found the recipe here; but have included my modifications below:


Justin's Cookies (or Coconut Almond Toffee Cookies)

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 t vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups plus a scant 1/4 cup all purpose flour
rounded 1/2 t salt
1/4 t soda
1 10 oz bag of Heath toffee bits
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/3 cups blanched slivered almonds, toasted

Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the vanilla, eggs, soda, and salt and mix until combined. Stir in the flour. Then add the remaining dry ingredients. Chill the dough. Bake at 375 for approximately 15 minutes, until edges are browned but centers are still doughy.

Mabry and I had a fun cookie photo shoot:

Mabry dancing after the shoot.






2 comments:

  1. Molly I love your blog! I am excited you are posting recipes, not that I can bake but I guess I can try. I am still looking for good slow cooker recipes. I have found a few. Please don't share my blog with your mother, she will be horrified. However I did hear an author that has a blogs say that blogs do not have to be perfect. That makes me feel better. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Kim! That really makes me feel so much better. I do cook healthy things...occasionally. I'll try to post some things just for you!:)

    ReplyDelete